These are the top five best Snow Chains on the market, chosen from Dozens of models.
- Case hardened steel rollers on cable cross members
- Suitable for front and rear wheel drive vehicles
- Type "S" limited clearance
- Meets all state requirements for cable traction devices
- Will NOT void vehicle warranty
When it comes to functionality, the Glacier 1046 snow chains are exactly what the winter doctor ordered. If you want to get more traction while driving in snowy conditions, this is the most efficient way to do so. Meeting all of the requisite certifications and being a safe choice, this product is going to put your mind at ease while driving in a winter wonderland.
At an affordable price, this model of snow chains offers the user great value. Fast installation, easy removal, and quality performance are just some of the great features on this product, and you’re not going to be disappointed with this purchase.
- Worry-free self-tightening ratchets provide automatic tightening and centering
- Easy installation and removal in minutes
- Do not exceed 30 MPH with these chains on
- Diamond pattern cross chain provides a smoother ride and superior traction
- Meet class 'S' clearance requirements
- Eliminates loose chains and retightening stops
The Peerless Auto-Trac Chain System steps the game up significantly for snow chains. They’re built primarily for trucks and SUV’s, and they have a diamond pattern that makes for a smoother ride. There’s also less vibration during winter trips as well.
One of the cooler features is the self-tightening ratchets that provide automatic tightening and centering. This means you won’t have to tighten them yourself or check to see if they’re still centered on the wheel itself. These cooler features and added compatibility with a wide range of vehicles make the Peerless Auto-Trac Chain System very valuable.
- Fastest, easiest installation of any traction product
- Built-in rubber tensioner means there is no need to stop and retighten after installation
- Better all-around traction performance than conventional tire chains or cables
- Greater durability than conventional tire chains or cables
- Better compatibility with anti-lock brakes, traction control, all-wheel drive (AWD) and other electronically monitored control systems
- Meets S.A.E. Class "S" clearance requirements or vehicles with limited clearance
- Low potential for damage to vehicle body and mechanical components, even when abused
The Security Chain Super Z LT’s are a solid pair of snow chains. Bolstered with five star reviews on Amazon, many of the customers were impressed with the durability and efficiency of these on the road. As long as they’re used with the proper cars (SUV’s and Light Trucks), then they’ll be reliable.
The rubber tension pieces help the chains stick to the tires themselves, and they’re easy to adjust. You’ll be out on the road in any conditions with confidence once you strap these on. Just lay them on the ground in front of the tires, drive over them, and then drape them up. Simple.
The Quality Chain Volt LT tire chains are some of the best snow stabilizers on the market. With these on your tires, you’re not going to be zig zagging – unlike the aesthetically pleasing design – all over the road.
Featuring included rubber adjusters, SAE Class “S” certification, quality construction, and a number of other important features, you’re going to get your money’s worth with this product. Though these aren’t the top snow chains on our list, they come in at a close second.
- Backed by KONIG's 5 Year Warranty
- 12 mm inside and on-the-tread clearance.
- Self tensioning, self centering install (1 stop for fitting), quick (external) release removal
- Micro-regulation system for perfect tensioning of the chain.
- Special pattern chain design with double traction plates welded to increase grip and performance on snow.
The Thule Pro Deluxe’s have a magical combination of design, features, and compatibility that puts them at number one on the countdown unanimously. Their special diamond design makes rides clean, quiet, and keeps vibration at a minimum so you can clearly see your way ahead. They’re also backed by Thule’s 5 Year Warranty.
The nicer features include a self tensioning, self centering install that makes things easier for the driver. And when you’re done using them, just hit the quick release button. They’re easy to use, and a dream to actually work with.
Snow Chains Buyer’s Guide
There’s a lot of technical terms being thrown around in these reviews, so it may benefit you to brush up on some of the features to look for when purchasing the best snow chain for your needs. Here’s a quick breakdown of some terms you’ll often see and how they relate to your snow chain experience.
Class S Requirements: Class “S” is a minimum clearance requirement set by some vehicle manufactures, so you’re going to look for this certification when purchasing snow chains.
Tensioners: Sections of the snow chains that help the product wrap around the tire and stay snug. They either come as self-tensioners or manual tensioners.
Self Centering: Self Centering just means that the snow chains stay centered on the tires themselves without any needed intervention.
Keep these terms in mind when comparing prices and features to find the Best Snow Chain!