The best vacuum for hardwood floors should be designed to remove surface debris and to avoid damaging hardwood flooring. Find out more about the feature to look for when shopping for a new vacuum and take a look at the vacuums we recommend.
Purchasing a new vacuum is an important decision. You need to find an appliance that is convenient to use and powerful enough to eliminate debris. We have put together some tips to help you find the best vacuum for hardwood floors as well as a few product recommendations.
How We Chose Our Ratings
We looked at a few different things to choose the best hardwood floor vacuums and help you choose the right appliance:
Top Seven Best Vacuums For Hardwood Floors
These are the seven best vacuum cleaners we found for hardwood floors. The features vary from one model to another, and you should look for an appliance that is adapted to your needs.
This Kenmore vacuum cleaner comes with two floor nuzzles. One nuzzle is designed for deep carpet cleaning while the other one is made for hardwood floors.
We think this vacuum is an excellent choice if you are looking for a versatile product. The compact canister design is interesting since it allows you to store the vacuum upright in a small space.
The HEPA filtration system features three filters. This is the vacuum you should get if you want to improve the quality of your indoor air.
This vacuum features two motors for improved suction. This isn’t a feature you will need when cleaning hardwood flooring, but suction power will help you remove more dust and other particles from carpeted areas.
We like the automatic cord rewind feature and think this vacuum is an excellent value considering how versatile it is.
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.
- 3-IN-1: Simpli-Stik’s easily transforms to whatever you need: a stick vac, a hand vac, or an extended hand vac; Dirt cup capacity: 0.35 liters
- EASY TO USE: Take the chore out of cleaning with this lightweight, ready-when-you-are bagless stick vacuum cleaner – Even from right out of the box
- LIGHHTWEIGHT AND POWERFUL: Tidy up your hard floors and rugs with powerful straight suction. Tackle tight, hard to reach places with the hand vac on-board crevice tool combo
- GREAT FOR SMALL SPACES: The light, compact, and versatile vacuum design makes this great for dorms, apartments, and small spaces to store, use, and clean up easily
- RINSABLE FILTER: Keep your vacuum running stronger for longer with the easily accessed filter. Be sure to let the filter dry at least 24 hours before its next use
This Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner weighs only four pounds. It is designed for cleaning hardwood flooring and to get into crevices and small spaces.
We like the fact that you can easily remove the handle and use this product as a hand vacuum to clean tables, counter space, and upholstery.
The wheels will help you cover an entire room in no time, and the suction power of this vacuum is sufficient for surface cleaning.
We recommend this vacuum cleaner if you are looking for an affordable product you will only use on hardwood floors.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.
- Converts into a handheld vacuum for versatile floor-to-ceiling cleaning
- Extra tools allows you to reach tight spaces, tackle pet hair and much more for a whole-home clean
- Fingertip controls to easily switch from hard floor to carpet cleaning
- Hang the handheld vacuum from the hook on the bottom of the wand for convenient storage
- Swivel steering for excellent control and to maneuver around furniture. Cleaning path width (inch): 8.5
This vacuum cleaner is designed to work on different types of surfaces. You can use controls to switch between different modes.
The upright design will help you save space. The ten-inch cleaning path is adapted to most rooms, and the vacuum comes with different accessories designed to help you reach small spaces. You will also get a car detail kit, which makes the vacuum even more versatile.
This vacuum has received excellent reviews. We think this is a good choice if you are looking for a versatile and durable vacuum with an upright design.
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.
- NEW ITEM AVAILABLE: Linx product line will be discontinued from the Manufacturer. Please visit the Hoover ONEPWR Evolve Pet (BH53420PC) page for the new version
- EXTREME RECLINE HANDLE: Reach further without having to move any furniture around
- EDGE CLEANING BRISTLES: Removes dirt, dust, and pet hair against those hard to reach edges
We like the cordless design of this vacuum. A cordless vacuum is a convenient choice if you use your vacuum several times a day to clean small messes. You can purchase this vacuum with an additional battery if you plan on using it often.
This vacuum features a WindTunnel technology to lift more dust and debris. You can switch between different modes for carpet and hardwood flooring.
We think the compact, upright design will help you save space. The battery life is long enough to allow you to clean large spaces.
We also like the edge-to-edge cleaning feature. You won’t miss anything even if you need to clean around furniture or in small spaces. You can also recline the handle of the vacuum to clean under furniture.
The dirt cup is also worth mentioning. You can empty it without making a mess thanks to the bottom release feature.
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.
- Fast and easy cleaning in a lightweight vacuum with powerful suction and innovative brush design that cleans more on the initial pass
- Innovative brush design rotates down into the carpet to clean more on the initial pass
- Cyclonic System for long lasting, powerful suction. Bag Type : Bagless
- TurboBrush tool for stairs, furniture, upholstery, and more; Dirt Cup Capacity: 2.2 L
- Easy Empty dirt tank, Multi Level Filtration, and washable foam tank filter. Note: Please refer user manual attached below for item installation and troubleshooting steps. Hose Length: 6 inch. Brush System: Rotating Clear Window
This vacuum is a great option if you want a reliable product on a budget. We like the lightweight design and the versatility of this vacuum.
This Bissell vacuum features a rotating brush designed to lift debris from carpets. You can turn this brush off when vacuuming hardwood floors.
This vacuum relies on different cycles to improve suction power. This makes the vacuum more efficient and suitable if you own a pet.
There is a HEPA filter you can easily remove and wash. The dirt tank can fit up to two liters of debris, which means you won’t have to empty it every time you vacuum your home.
There is a TurboBrush attachment to help you clean small spaces and vacuum upholstery. We also like the crevice tool and extension wand that come with the vacuum.
This vacuum is perfect if you want something that is affordable or need a vacuum with a large capacity. The bulky design is somewhat of a drawback.
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.
- Dust cup capacity 2.2 quarts; Lift away; Press a button to lift the canister away and easily clean hard to reach areas
- Anti-allergen complete seal technology plus a HEPA filter; Traps 99.9 percent of dust and allergens inside the vacuum
- Powerful and lightweight; Portable and versatile at 13.7 pounds
- Brush roll shutoff; Deep carpet and gentle bare floor cleaning
- Hard floor hero attachment not included
This vacuum is designed to clean hard to reach areas. There is a lift-away feature you can use to lift the canister and easily clean under furniture.
The floor attachment swivels. This will help you clean around furniture and other obstacles. The HEPA filter system is designed to catch more allergens, which should help improve the quality of the air you breathe.
There are brush rolls designed to remove more debris from carpeted areas. You can turn these rolls off when vacuuming your hardwood floors. The vacuum also comes with a pet cleaning brush to remove more pet hair.
The 30-feet cord gives you plenty of mobility. The cleaning path measures just under ten inches, but you will get an edge-to-edge cleaning accessory.
We think this vacuum is a good choice if you want a lightweight appliance designed to catch pet hair.
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.
- Every BISSELL purchase helps save pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- The V-shape directs larger debris into the center suction path, while the ends of the V capture small, fine debris
- Easily cleans aroundfurniture legs and on low pile are legs; Hose Length: No Hose
- Easy-to-empty dirtcup makes project cleanup a breeze. Power Rating: 6amps
- Cleaning Path Width: 11. 35 inches (V-Shape), Power Cord Length: 20 feet
This is the perfect vacuum if you have a small apartment to clean. This vacuum features excellent suction power for the price range and stands out thanks to the design of the floor attachment.
The floor attachment has a V-shape to capture more debris and pet hair. The V-shape attachment makes cleaning around furniture legs much easier.
The vacuum features large padded wheels to avoid damaging hardwood floors. We think the V-shape attachment is an advantage if you need to clean a small space with several obstacles such as furniture legs, but could be a drawback if you have a large surface to clean.
Keep in mind that this vacuum is designed to remove surface debris from hardwood floors but isn’t powerful enough to lift dirt trapped in a carpet.
We recommend this vacuum if you need something that can quickly remove surface debris and pet hair in a small apartment.
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.
How To Choose The Best Vacuum For Hardwood Floors
One of the main advantages of hardwood flooring is that cleaning is quick and easy. However, it is important to use a vacuum designed for this type of flooring to avoid damages.
What To Avoid
The main concern when vacuuming hardwood floors is that some vacuums can scratch your flooring. You can prevent this by choosing a vacuum that doesn’t have any roller brushes, or by using a vacuum with a switch that disables the roller brush.
Plastic wheels are another feature to avoid since they can cause damage to hardwood flooring.
Some brushes won’t damage hardwood floors but will cause debris to spread in front of the vacuum instead of eliminating them.
What Is The Best Vacuum Design For Hardwood Flooring?
The best vacuum design depends on whether or not you need to clean more than hardwood floors. If you need a versatile vacuum to clean different surfaces, a bagged vacuum will probably be your best option.
Look for a vacuum with different modes so you can disable the bristle brush and change the suction power in function of the surface you are cleaning.
A bagless vacuum is an interesting option if you will use the vacuum exclusively on hardwood floors or have a small carpeted surface to clean. Bagless vacuums typically have a lightweight and compact design. This design is advantageous if you have limited storage space.
A stick vacuum is an excellent investment for cleaning hardwood floors. A stick vacuum is perfect if you need to get into small spaces or have stairs to clean.
Consider getting a canister vacuum if you want a vacuum that is lightweight and easy to maneuver. Canister vacuums are suitable for different types of flooring, but you can find some canister vacuums specifically made for hardwood floors.
Features To Look For
The best vacuum for hardwood floors should have plenty of padding around the intake port. This feature will help the vacuum glide on this type of flooring and will prevent scratches. It will also help you maneuver the vacuum effortlessly.
Pay attention to the wheels of the vacuum. Make sure the wheels are padded with rubber or another material to prevent damages.
Vacuuming hardwood floors means you only need to eliminate surface debris. There is no need to spend more to get a vacuum with a lot of suction power. You can purchase a lightweight, compact vacuum that is easy to use and store.
Look at the capacity of the vacuum you are interested in. Make sure it is adapted to the size of the surface you need to clean.
If you are shopping for a canister or bagged vacuum, choose a vacuum with a design that makes replacing the bag or emptying the canister quick and easy.
You should also look at the filtration system of your new vacuum. A lot of vacuums feature HEPA filters to catch dust particles to prevent them from being released into the air you breathe. This is an interesting feature for the quality of your indoor air, but you need to make sure that cleaning or replacing the filters is easy.
There are a few additional features you might want to look at depending on your needs:
How Much Suction Power Do You Need?
Unless you will use your vacuum to clean carpeted area, there is no need to spend more to get a vacuum with a lot of suction power.
Cleaning a hardwood floor means that debris will be on the surface. Any vacuum should do the job regardless of suction power. The main thing to avoid is a rolling brush that could push debris away from the intake port of the vacuum.
However, a vacuum with good suction power will help you save time and will probably catch more debris. Pay attention to the airflow to determine how powerful a vacuum is. Airflow typically ranges from 50 to 100 CFM. The wattage of a vacuum is another good indication of how efficient it is.
If you want a versatile vacuum with good suction power so you can clean hardwood floors as well as a few carpeted areas, think about getting a canister vacuum. An upright model is more suitable if you will only clean hardwood flooring.
Take the time to compare different vacuum designs and features to find the best vacuum for hardwood floors. Make sure you choose a vacuum specifically designed for this type of flooring to avoid damages!
Last update on 2021-06-12 at 15:52 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API