These are the top five best Wood Lathes on the market, chosen from Hundreds of models.
#5 – Rikon 70-100
- Easy Access Speed Change: Provides ample room to change speeds quickly
- Self Ejecting Tail Stock: No need to use the knock-out bar to remove the center
- Laser engraved ram with 2-1/2-Inch travel
- Ability to Add Multiple Extensions
- 1/2HP Motor
The Rikon 70-100 is an extremely high quality mini lathe. This lathe can make tackling even the most demanding woodworking assignments a breeze. This product is capable of handling 3900 rpm. This means you will always have enough speed to finish your woodworking projects with precision. Rikon hit the nail on the head with this extremely durable lathe.
This product comes with a 2 year factory warranty. The craftsmanship of this device is of the highest caliber. A self ejecting tailstock feature is also included, which helps this product increase your productivity dramatically. If you are looking for a very reliable mini wood lathe, this is a great option for you.
#4 – PSI TCLC10Vs
- Digital readout lets you work at precise speeds. Vary speeds from 150-4100 RPM for shaping or finishing
- SBC microprocessor technology delivers pinpoint control and reliability. Convenient carrying handles. 24 Indexing positions with spindle locking
- Convenient worklight with 18-Inch flex cable makes it easier to see even the most intricate work. Heavy-duty, ball bearing tail stock center provides great grip with less stress to avoid splitting
- Tool storage rack keeps chisels and other tools close at hand. Sturdy cast iron base accepts optional extension bed for turning projects up to 43-Inch
- Powerful 3/4 HP motor provides superior power and performance. Designed for easy belt access and removal. 3 Year Warranty
The PSI TCLC10VS is a game changer. This extremely durable wood lathe can deliver speeds up to 3800 rpm. You will be able to complete many projects you would have never considered prior to owning this unit. The 12 position indexing head gives you enormous flexibility. This allows you to work with added precision.
This unit also comes with a 3 year factory warranty. This keeps your lathe up to par and ready to work when you need it most. This is a well built design that is sure to produce quality results – it’s an exceptional wood lathe at a great value. If you are looking to kick your woodworking skills up a notch this unit will provide you a platform to do so.
#3 – Delta 46-460
- Powerful 1 hp max, 1,725 rpm motor
- Large 12-1/2-inch swing capacity provides the largest capacity in its class
- Electronic variable Speed with three-pulley speed ranges provide the required speeds needed to turn a project without changing belt position
- Forward and Reversing function allows the turner to achieve a superior finish. Sanding a turned piece with the grain causes the wood fibers to lay down and remain rough.
- Patented belt tensioning system for easy and quick speed changes and sets the belt at the correct tension every time for maximum power transfer and longer tool life
The Delta 46-460 is one of the best mini lathes on the market today and it is a very durable unit. You will be surprised by the unsurpassed level of quality used in its construction. This product comes with one of the best warranties in the industry – an impressive 5 year limited warranty. Delta has continued their legacy and maintained their renown brand thanks to this well-reviewed product.
The 1hp motor generates more than enough power to handle most woodworking projects with ease. This unit also comes equipped with a reverse function. This feature can be very helpful when sanding is required. This wood lathe should be considered when deciding on the best mini lathe for your woodworking needs. This is truly a quality product from a dependable manufacturer and a great choice to add to your tool selection.
#2 – Jet Jwl-1221Vs
The Jet JWL-1221VS is a state of the art mini wood lathe. A powerful 1 hp engine delivers torque right where you need it. This product was built from the finest materials and factory tested for extreme durability, so you will be able to depend on this tool for years to come. In fact, a 5 year warranty insures you will be always ready to work.
This is one of the best warranties available and it showcases Jet’s continued commitment to quality. This unit also includes a reverse function, which can help when you have a project where sanding is required. This one of the best wood lathes for the money and should be considered for any tool shed.
#1 – Powermatic 3520B
- Wood turning lathe with digital RPM readout, 20-inch swing, and 34-1/2-inches between center
- Powered by a 2-horsepower, 220-volt, variable speed motor
- Made of heavy-duty cast iron, Assembly required
- Accessories-include guard, tool rest, face plate, wrench, knockout rod and spindle lock
- 50x24x44-inches; Backed by 1-year warranty
The Powermatic 3520B is a professional grade wood lathe. This product comes with an impressive 2hp motor that delivers smooth and exact power when you need it most. A laser etched quill and vibration resistant frame makes this a smart choice for high-end wood workers. This unit was designed to the highest quality standards and a 1 year factory warranty is included with this lathe.
If you are the type of wood worker who needs the best tools to tackle professional level assignments, this is the wood lathe for you. You can easily change the direction of this lathe thanks to the one touch reverse function. The digital RPM read makes this an exceptional product and this is the smart choice for woodworking professionals who demand perfection. The Powermatic 3520B is the best overall wood lathe on the market.
Wood Lathes Buyer’s Guide
There’s a lot of technical terms being thrown around in these reviews, so it may benefit you to brush up on some of the features to look for when purchasing the best wood lathe for your needs. Here’s a quick breakdown of some terms you’ll often see and how they relate to your wood lathe experience.
Rpm: (Rotations Per Minute) This is a measure of the speed of your lathes rotations. You want a higher number of RPMs if you’re trying to tackle projects that require an extra push.
Swing: A measure of the maximum size workpiece that can rotate without hitting the bed. The greater the swing, the more you can spread out or work on intense jobs.
Quill: The sleeve of a drill press or lathe headstock in which the spindle is mounted. This is going to range in size and material, so be sure to read up on this component while shopping.
Keep these terms in mind when comparing prices and features to find the Best Wood Lathe!