Thunderstorms can be stressful for anyone and pets are no exception. It’s hard to watch your dog shiver in fear and not being to comfort them. However, anxiety is an issue many pet owners can help their pets cope with, and it’s not complicated. Thunder blankets offer a simple way to comfort your pet during bad weather, long trips, or after stressful vet visits.
Some of the blankets we reviewed here are crossover blankets that are suited for humans or pets. Finding the right one for your pet follows the same guidelines as finding one for yourself or your children. The blanket should be about weight about 10 percent of the body weight of your pet. If you have a 100-pound, get a 10-pound blanket.
Most of the blankets do not come in a weight that is under 5-pounds. It’s not going to affect the comfort level of your dog if it is too heavy by a pound, but don’t get a 10-pound one for a 30-pound dog. A blanket that is much too heavy can add anxiety to your dog which defeats the purpose of it.
We’ve compiled a list of the top 5 thunder blankets for dogs to help you find a solution fast. We based our ranking system on what materials the blanket manufacturer uses, how well they made the blankets, and overall quality. The size and weight were secondary considerations. Price and colors were not factors we focused on for the final list.
Hiseeme Weighted Blanket
Viki Anxiety Weighted Cotton Blanket
Finslep 2018 Silk Feel Sky Blue Weighted Blanket
Hiseeme Cool Weighted Blanket
Weighted Idea Small Weighted Blanket Set
The Final Results
We based our final results on what we didn’t like about the blankets. They are all made well and from suitable materials. The final results came from small problems like cleaning or the possibility of it breaking down over time. Ranking these blankets was difficult because they’re all great products that can help reduce stress dogs experience during storms or after vet visits.
- #1 Huggaroo Weighted Blanket – this thunder blanket wins overall. This one is durable and made from high-quality materials.
- #2 Quality Weighted Blanket – this one ranks number two for quality materials and durability, but it lost a few points for the extra time and effort needed to clean it. It distributed the weight of the pellets and held them in place better than the other blankets, but not well enough to be ranked first.
- #3 ReachTherapy Solutions Weighted Sensory Lap Pads – this blanket is sturdy and made from suitable materials. It ranks third on our list because it comes in so many designs and is relatively easy to clean. It barely missed the number two position, but it only comes in one size.
- #4 Canine Coddler Thunder Blanket – while made well and from quality materials, this blanket lands at number four because the pellets used for weight are PVC. They’ll do the job and last a long time, but after multiple sessions in the washing machine, they will begin to weather and break down.
- #5 Orange Panda Weighted Blanket – excellent materials and quality construction brought this blanket to our list of top 5 thunder blankets for dogs. However, this one is harder to clean and keep clean than our other four contenders.
You can’t go wrong with any of these blankets. They’re all affordable and made from high-quality materials. More importantly, these blankets are safe. If your dog tears one open, the pellets used for weight are non-toxic and round. If a few pellets get swallowed, they should pass with no harmful side effects. Safety should always be a priority, and these blanket manufacturers make sure their blankets are safe.
The choice comes down to which material you prefer and how concerned you are with cleaning methods. If the price is a factor, the ReachTherapy Solutions Weighted Sensory Lap Pad is the least expensive blanket we reviewed. The other ones are about the same price give or take $20. If you’re like us, the price is often the last thing you consider when buying something for our pets.