If you’re interested in cooking, whether professionally or otherwise, one of the most important culinary tools you’ll require is a good chef knife. While it’s true that what works for one chef may not work as well for another, there’s no denying the fact that the best knives are significantly appreciated and trusted by a vast majority of professional cooks. When it comes to choosing the best chef knife, a number of factors come into play. In this article, you’ll find that we’ve picked ten of the best chef knives from various brands and manufacturers, and compared and contrasted them based on factors like their features and their pros and cons.
Best Chef Knife FAQ
1. What Is a Chef Knife?
More popularly known as a chef’s knife or a cook’s knife, a chef knife is a culinary tool that is used in the preparation of food. The chef’s knife was originally developed and designed to help slice and disjoint large cuts of beef. However, as the design developed further, and as more chefs began to notice how efficient these knives were, the usage of this cooking tool spread wider. Today, for most general utility purposes, western cooks rely on chef’s knives of various kinds.
2. What Are the Different Styles of Chef Knives?
The most commonly used style of chef’s knives has a blade that’s typically 8 inches long and 1.5 inches wide. However, there are many chef’s knives that come in varying lengths, ranging from as short as 6 inches to as long as 14 inches. When it comes to the types of blades used, two of the most common varieties are French and German.
French blades are typically straight right up to the end and curve gently at the tip. German blades curve more deeply and continuously along the cutting edge.
3. What Can a Chef Knife Be Used For?
A chef’s knife can be used for performing a variety of culinary tasks like cutting, chopping, slicing, dicing, mincing, peeling, and disjointing large cuts. Most of the best chef knives can be used to multi-task in the kitchen, and can effortlessly cut through vegetables, fruits, meat, herbs, and other kinds of foodstuff.
4. How Does a Chef Knife Differ from a Regular Knife?
The primary difference between a chef’s knife and a regular knife is that the former can be used to perform a variety of heavy-duty tasks in the kitchen. A regular knife can only help you out with lighter tasks like chopping soft fruits and vegetables. Another point of difference is that a chef’s knife is generally more durable and withstands wear and tear better than a regular knife. Additionally, chef’s knives are also more expensive than ordinary knives.
5. Where Can You Buy a Chef Knife?
As with most other products, you can buy chef’s knives online from marketplaces like Amazon and Walmart. If you have a particular branded knife in mind, you can purchase the product directly from the company’s website. Most websites have their return or exchange policies stated clearly online. On the other hand, if you prefer to see a product in person before buying it, it’s best to head out to retail outlets that have some of the best chef knives on sale.
6. What Are Some Factors to Consider If You Are Interested in Purchasing a Chef Knife?
The first thing most chefs look at is the length of the knife. Eight inches is often considered the magic number, although some chefs prefer shorter or longer knives. The next important thing to consider is the style and design. Other vital aspects to take into account before you pick the best chef knife include the steel used, the brand, the price, and the kind of handle the knife is equipped with.
How We Reviewed
After evaluating factors like quality and affordability, we’ve picked eight of the best chef knives in an unbiased and equitable manner. We reviewed the selected products based on several practical parameters like their main features, the pros and cons of each knife, and the average price range in which they fall. Also included is a link to the webpage where you can buy the product if you’re interested in purchasing one of the best chef knives. The list has been prepared after careful consideration of various models of chef knives.
Overall Price Range of the Best Chef Knives
Depending on various factors like the brand, the model, the sharpness, the materials used, the technology utilized to craft the product, and the certifications involved, the overall price range of the chef knives we reviewed extends from around as low as $ to as high as $$$. Generally, the best chef knife offered by top brands are priced in the higher ranges, because of the high quality of materials used. The knives in the lower price ranges may be good enough for a year or two, but tend to wear out after prolonged use.
To strike an optimal balance between good quality and affordable rates, it’s best to get a chef knife priced at around $ to $$$. You can sometimes get a good deal online that includes a discount or an offer that can bring the price of the chef knives further down.
What We Reviewed
- Manufactured in Germany
- Special formula high carbon no stain steel
- Sigma forge knife is forged from a single piece of solid steel
- Ice hardened Friodur blade starts sharper stays sharper longer and has superior resilience
- Precision honed blade and laser controlled edge ensures ideal cutting angle for sharpness and durability
Manufactured in Germany, this is a contender for the best chef knife because it is forged from a single piece of solid stainless steel. It comes with an ice-hardened blade that is guaranteed to stay sharper for longer periods. It’s the best chef knife for professional cutting and carving. The bolster is crafted perfectly and provides weight, insures safety, and adds balance.
- Santoprene handle for comfort and safe grip, NSF certified
- High carbon forged steel from Soligen, Germany. Stain-resistant x50 Cr Mo V15 resists rust, corrosion, and discoloration. Full tang that runs the entire length of the handle for superior balance.
- Taper-ground edge allows for added stability, easy honing, long lasting sharpness, and increased efficiency when cutting and chopping
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Hand wash knives for blade edge and surface care
Made from high-carbon, this made the best chef knife list because of its no-stain German steel that is resistant to discoloration, rust, and corrosion. This piece of cutlery from Mercer Culinary is undoubtedly the best chef knife for cutting and chopping. Its bolster is designed to strengthen the knife and provide a better balance when you’re using it, and its taper-ground edge improves the efficiency of the knife.
- Excellent all-around chef's knife - it excels at precision slicing of fish, meats and poultry. The curved edge promotes a rocking motion that works well for chopping fruits and vegetables too, making this an exceptionally versatile knife in the kitchen
- Made in Germany
- Knife is precision forged from a single piece of sturdy high-carbon steel that resists stains and corrosion
- Full tang is triple riveted to the handle for exceptional durability and control
- Wüsthof's Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) ensures a 20% sharper blade with twice the edge retention
Made in Germany using the most effective and innovative technologies, this classic knife from Wusthof is perhaps the best chef knife for performing various functions such as slicing fish, meat, and poultry, and chopping fruits and vegetables. It’s equipped with a curved edge that results in a rocking motion, making it capable of carrying out several tasks with equal ease.
- Stain resistant chef knife^asymmetrical edge grants the knife sharper than even edges^UX10 is Misono's top of the line knife made with Swedish steel^size 8.2" inches
Designed to take on the role of the best chef knife in the market, the UX10 from Misono cuts like butter and is incredibly effective when it comes to regular culinary tasks like slicing and dicing. It’s razor sharp right out of the box and cuts effortlessly through fish, meat, vegetables, fruits, herbs, and just about every kind of food. The knife is also excellently balanced.
- The German 1.4116 high-carbon, stainless alloy blade resists stains and corrosion, exhibits toughness and durability, holds its edge retention, and is easy to re-sharpen to a razor-like edge.
- This knife line is one-piece, hot-drop hammer forged, which produces the strongest blade from heel to tip. The blades are heat treated and cooled to achieve a Rockwell of 57-58.
- The three-step, 15 degree “Elite” edge is hand stropped on a cloth wheel, creating the sharpest possible cutting surface on an edged tool.
- The bolsterless heel simplifies all cutting, sharpening & honing tasks, making use of the entire blade from heel to tip.
- Handcrafted in the historic cutlery capital of Solingen, Germany.
If you’re looking for the best chef knife that can handle a significant portion of all the cutting tasks you’ve got to perform as part of your everyday cooking routine, this elite chef knife from Messermeister may be just what you need. It’s handcrafted in Solingen, Germany, which is the world’s cutlery capital, and its high-carbon, stainless alloy blade is resistant to stains and corrosion.
Equipped with asymmetrical edges that are guaranteed to be sharper than even-edged knives, the 440 Molybdenum form Misono is the best chef knife when it comes to tasks like slicing and chopping. Its thin and sharp blade cuts through food like butter, and its extremely lightweight construction makes it a breeze to use.
This tool from MAC is quite possibly the best chef knife you’ll find on the market, because it does practically everything in the kitchen, from dicing and slicing succulent fruits and vegetables to cutting through meat effortlessly. It’s also easy to use and retains its sharpness for surprisingly long periods.
- VG-MAX steel is a formula exclusive to Shun with extra tungsten for a sharper edge, more chromium for corrosion resistance and additional cobalt and carbon for strength and durability
- Handle is ebony PakkaWood; PakkaWood is a hardwood infused with resin for a durable, water resistant finish, perfect for easy cleaning and tough enough for constant use
- For proper slicing, push the knife forward and down while cutting through food and then pull it up and back, repeating the process in a “locomotive” motion; this prevents chipping for smooth cuts
- “Shun” the Japanese word indicates a food’s peak ripeness; Shun draws on its Japanese roots and traditional blade-making practices to produce knives that perform excellently
- The 8-inch Chef’s Knife is a staple kitchen utensil and a great gift for newlyweds, homeowners, parents, grandparents, cooks, aspiring chefs, hostesses or to keep as a personal kitchen tool
What makes this classic knife perhaps the best chef knife in the market is the material that it’s crafted from, which is a legendary combination of VG10 Steel and SUS410 high-carbon steel. This makes the knife highly resistant to corrosion and rusting. The knife also sports an ergonomically designed handle that’s comfortable to hold and operate and doesn’t slip away easily when used.
Picking the best chef knife from a list of exceptional options is no mean task. However, in order to help you make a good decision, it’s essential to pick a winner. Considering several factors like the design, the level of comfort offered, the quality of the cuts, and the durability, the MTH-80 Professional Series 8-inch chef knife from MAC may just be the best chef knife among the ones chosen.
Its intuitive design is comfortable for most hand sizes, and it’s a great tool to use irrespective of your skill level. The knife is perfect for beginners and experts alike, and it can make a significant portion of your food preparation seem less like a chore. The only downside to this knife is that it’s slightly more expensive than other options.
If you’re a beginner, the Misono 440 Molybdenum may also be a good choice to go with, considering that it’s lightweight and easy to use. On the other hand, if you're a seasoned chef looking for a good knife that comes at an affordable price, the Wusthof Classic 7-inch Deba wide chef’s knife may be the ideal tool for you.
Last update on 2021-08-05 at 21:31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API