It’s a sign of our times that people consider investing in one of the best robot vacuums to help with their flooring needs. It is a big convenience to have the sweeping, vacuuming and even mopping taken care of with the touch of a finger or tap of an app. For individuals with limited ability, those who are frail or infirm, or people with allergies, robot vacuums can improve quality of life tremendously.
Much like the development of the automatic washing machine or dishwasher in the 1900s, robot vacuums are changing the way people care of their housekeeping. Robot vacuums began with remote control-operated devices in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Those first models were known for their collisions and difficulties navigating spaces.
In the 20 years since then, however, robot vacuums have made major advances as the companies have reworked the programming to overcome spatial challenges. The best robot vacuums today will work on all floor types in most environments and offer a variety of unique features that help make daily chores easier.
Here we help you explore which is the best robot vacuum for your home.
Robot Vacuum | FAQ
What Is a Robot Vacuum?
A robot vacuum is an automated vacuum cleaner that can operate independently to clean dust and other debris from floors. It consists of the actual vacuum cleaner motor, a base with wheels and a computer terminal that allows the vacuum to operate without a human. Most also have a charging base.
What Do the Best Robot Vacuums Do?
In short, they vacuum well and with little to no help from their users. The best robot vacuums remove most of the dust and debris from floors. Dry vacuums will clean both hard and carpeted floors, while some hardwood models are also wet mops.
Some can travel up and over rugs. Good quality robot vacuums will manage corners and baseboards, have filters and a variety of brushes. Some have advanced features such as integrating with a smartphone, mapping technology or running on a prearranged schedule.
How Do Robot Vacuums Work?
Robot vacuums work by following internal computer programming and sensors that allow the motor to travel through the room on a preset or learned algorithm.
All robot vacuums navigate by using some combination of a variety of sensors including obstacle sensors, cliff sensors, wall sensors and wheel sensors. The best robot vacuums will then store all the information gathered through their sensors to make the next pass through the room more efficient. This mapping technology may include taking photos, using lasers to measure distance and other techniques.
The vacuum itself moves on wheels and uses suction to pick up dust and debris from the floor and store in in an onboard bin.
What Does the User Have to Do for the Robot Vacuum?
The best robot vacuums will require little from their users once set up. Initial set-up can require some time to set schedules, establish desired borders to contain the vacuum to the desired rooms, and integrate the unit with smart device apps. Once set up the user simply needs to empty the dust bin when full, replace worn parts and occasionally rescue a stuck vacuum.
What Features Are Available on the Best Robot Vacuums?
The programming in the best robot vacuum computers will enable the unit to map a room using gyro, camera, radar or laser to plan its cleaning route, avoid furniture and hazards such as stairs, and return to charging when finished or when its batteries run low.
The vacuum will be able to brush and suction the floor effectively to pick up everyday dirt. Some of the best robot vacuums will also mop floors as an added feature. Some use Wi-Fi for integration with a smartphone or other device, have multiple scheduling options, and features that enable them to get to corners better or tackle big messes left by children and pets.
What Are the Advantages/Disadvantages to a Robot Vacuum over a Standard Vacuum?
The best robot vacuums today offer a lot of advantages over a standard vacuum. They tend to be quieter, smaller and, of course, they are convenient in that they clean the floors mostly independently.
On the negative side, even the best robot vacuums take a longer time to clean the floors than a standard vacuum. They continue to have difficulty navigating clutter and cords and they are generally expensive.
Where Can You Buy One?
Robot vacuums can be purchased at many department stores, from the manufacturer and from Amazon.com. For your added convenience, we’ve provided direct links to the item on Amazon with each summary description of the items we’ve recommended below as the best robot vacuums.
How We Reviewed
We reviewed common robot vacuum brands to help you find the one that’s best suited for your needs. We considered actual user reviews, navigation technology, connectivity and smart home integration, whether they are suitable for pet households, battery life, any extra or special features, and their performance. The following products were reviewed based on their key features, pros and cons, prices, warranties and more so we could present to you a neutral list of the best robot vacuums available.
Overall Price Range of Robot Vacuums
Robot vacuums have a wide range of prices depending on many factors. Well-known brands, those with more or better features, and newer models tend to be more expensive. The overall prices for the best robot vacuums on our list ranges from $$ to $$$.
What We Reviewed
- Sleek, premium design complements your home décor; Includes 1 dual mode virtual wall barrier for more control over where your robot cleans
- 3 stage cleaning system and dual multi surface brushes pick up everything from small particles to large debris
- Patented dirt detect sensors alert roomba to work harder on concentrated areas of dirt, such as high traffic zones of your home
- Full suite of intelligent sensors guide the robot under and around furniture to help thoroughly clean your floors
- Clean and schedule from anywhere with the iRobot home app; Compatible with amazon Alexa and the google assistant. Mobile device compatible software version: iphone: ios 11 or higher, android: os 5.0 or higher
The iRobot Roomba 690 Pet Robot Vacuum advertises a three-stage cleaning system, which loosens, lifts and suctions all dirt from small dust to large debris. It has dual, multi-surface brushes, and an edge sweeping brush to get at corners and sides. It automatically adjusts to multiple surfaces and automatically returns to base to charge.
The “iAdapt Navigation” feature allows this robot vacuum to learn a more efficient mapping of its area of responsibility with each use. The dirt detection causes the vacuum to stay on an especially dirty area until clean. It works with smart home connect to iRobot Home App, Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
The iRobot Roomba 690 is covered by a 1-year warranty from the date of purchase.
- 40x More Suction Power – Delivers 40x more powerful cleaning on all floor types when compared to a conventional robot vacuum with a circular design
- Self Clean Brush automatically detangles and removes pet hair that collects around the brush
- Edge Clean Master - An innovative rubber blade that extends out to clean hard to reach areas like corners and along the edges of the wall.
- Visionary Mapping and Full View Sensor 2. 0 - On-board camera and multiple sensors create the ideal cleaning path for multi-room cleaning while avoiding obstacles along the way. Coverage map shows you where POWERbot has cleaned.
- Wi-Fi Connectivity allows you to remotely control your robot vacuum on your smartphone** or through voice enabled devices such as Bixby, Amazon Alexa or the Google Assistant***
This robot vacuum’s emphasis is on technology. It has Wi-Fi connectivity and will integrate with a smartphone via Smart Home or Samsung Connect, or voice control with Amazon Alexa or the Google Assistant. It is advertised to have “Visionary Mapping Plus and FullView Sensor 2.0” all of which translates to advanced mapping and sensor abilities, an included camera, and the ability to record it has already cleaned.
It has powerful suction, cleans corners and edges well and has a wide brush to cover more area per pass. It can cover multiple rooms with automatic scheduling, auto adjust to floor type and medium dust bin. The self-cleaning brush automatically removes hair tangles from brush.
The Samsung POWERbot R7070 has a 1-year limited warranty.
- Cleans For You: Clean your house with the click of a button. Versatile cleaning modes and the low-profile design facilitates cleaning under tables and chairs along with every nook and cranny.
- High-Capacity Li-ion Battery: Delivers strong suction power for up to 1.5 hours.
- 3-Point Cleaning System: Side brushes, a rolling brush and powerful suction ensure a thorough clean.
- Premium Features: Anti-scratch tempered glass cover for protection, infrared-sensor for evading obstacles, and drop-sensing tech to avoid falls. Recharges automatically.
- What You Get: eufy RoboVac 11, remote control (requires 2 AAA batteries, not included), charging base, AC power adapter, cleaning tool, High-Performance filter, 4 side brushes, welcome guide and our worry-free 12-month warranty.
The eufyRoboVac 11 cleans hard floors and low carpet really well. It has side brushes, a rolling brush and powerful suction, which work together for great vacuuming. It is low-profile so it will fit under most furniture pieces. It has a triple-filter system and three cleaning modes “edge, spot, and max.”
This unit recharges automatically, and it uses infrared and drop sensors to navigate. The battery life is a whopping 90 minutes.
The eufyRobovac 11 comes with a 1-year warranty.
- Wi-Fi Convenience: The EufyHome app, and Amazon Alexa and the Google Assistant voice control-services let you accomplish your vacuuming needs with zero effort from you.
- Worry-Free Cleaning: Set Boundary Strips and the robot vacuum cleaner’s slim 2.85” body with—upgraded to 1500Pa* suction—only cleans the areas you want.
- BoostIQ™ Technology: The robot vacuum cleaner will automatically increase suction power within 1.5 seconds when extra vacuuming strength is needed—so you get the best clean.
- A Quiet Clean: Up to 100 minutes** of constant, powerful suction at a volume no louder than an operating microwave from this robot vacuum cleaner.
- What You Get: RoboVac 30C, 13.2 ft Boundary Strips, remote control (2 AAA batteries included), charging base, AC power adapter, cleaning tool, extra set of high-performance filters, 4 side brushes, 5 cable ties, welcome guide, and our worry-free 12-month warranty.
This ECOVACS vacuum has “Smart Move Technology,” which automatically adapts to different surfaces such as carpet and wood floors, tile and linoleum. Its three-stage cleaning system sweeps, lifts and vacuums. There is also a wet mop option. There are four cleaning modes and two high power suction modes.
The v-shaped brush cleans deeper, and the tangle-free extractor option works great for abundant hair. It is Wi-Fi compatible and has a smartphone app through which you can schedule, control and monitor the vacuum.
This robot vacuum is backed by a 1-year limited manufacturer’s warranty. Users have reported great customer service.
- "Best Robot Vacuum of 2018" by Digital Trends.
- All-New RoboVac: Re-engineered to be the slimmest* RoboVac (2.85") but with quiet operation and increased suction at 1300Pa for up to 100 minutes** of constant, powerful suction.
- BoostIQ Technology: Automatically increases suction power within 1.5 seconds when extra vacuuming strength is needed to get the best clean.
- A Quiet Clean: Vacuums for up to 100 minutes** on hardwood floors with consistant, powerful suction at a volume no louder than an operating microwave. Premium Features: Anti-scratch tempered glass-top cover for protection, infrared-sensor for evading obstacles, and drop-sensing tech to avoid falls. Automatically recharges so it's always ready to clean.
- What You Get: RoboVac 11S, remote control (2 AAA batteries included), charging base, AC power adapter, cleaning tool, extra set of high-performance filters, 4 side brushes, 5 cable ties, welcome guide and our worry-free 12-month warranty.
The Dyson 360 Eye Robot Vacuum has the suction power you expect from a Dyson. It advertises twice the suction of other robot vacuums. Features include “360 eye vision system” the robot uses to map and navigate efficiently. It comes compatible with an iOS and android app to schedule, control and monitor.
This vacuum has Dyson’s radial root cyclone technology to contain dust within the bin. It has a full-width, nylon and carbon-fiber brush. Unfortunately, the powerful vacuum is not supported by great technology and that makes this vacuum price difficult to justify.
This robot vacuum has a great 2-year warranty from the date of purchase.
- Included Components: Remote
- AAA Batteries
- Docking Station
- Power Source Type: Samsung vacuum
The Neato Botvac DC02 Connected Robotic Vacuum is humble on its advertising but it works really well. This robot vacuum has features including dual mode cleaning, navigation with “LaserSmart” navigation, the ability to control the robot vacuum from a smartphone, and a D-shape with side brushes to get edges and corners. Unfortunately, this model is no longer produced in the U.S.
Neato backs this product with a 1-year warranty.
- The Roomba i7 is compatible with a Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal so your i7 robot vacuum can empty its own bin. (Clean Base sold separately)
- Power-Lifting Suction delivers 10X the air power* for improved pick-up performance. Premium 3-Stage Cleaning System cleans the dirt and pet hair you see and the allergens and dust you don't. *(Compared to Roomba 600 Series)
- Imprint Smart Mapping enables the robot to learn, map and adapt to your home. If crumbs spill on the floor as you’re racing out the door, you can simply tell the Roomba i series robot to immediately clean the kitchen either using your Alexa or the Google Voice Assistant.
- Intelligently maps and remembers multiple floor plans to clean your entire home. Patented iAdapt 3.0 technology with vSLAM navigation actively captures thousands of precise measurements to optimize coverage. Keep Out Zones let you control areas that you want the robot to avoid.
- Imprint Link Technology allows Roomba i7 and Braava jet m6 robots to automatically clean in sequence – vacuuming and then mopping.
This iRobot vacuum is one of the best robot vacuums available. IRobot has had some practice at making the best robot vacuums. It uses the iRobot HOME smartphone app for full customization, scheduling and setting preferences. The app records and reports cleaning maps. It also integrates with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa.
If the 75-minute battery life isn’t enough, it automatically recharges when needed and returns to the job to finish once charged. It has extractors and tangle-free brushes that prevent jams from hair or debris as well as edge-sweeping brushes to get corners and near walls. Its on-board sensors keep the robot vacuum from running into furniture, people or going over ledges.
This is a very powerful vacuum that uses a three-step “AeroForce Cleaning System” to loosen, lift and suction as it cleans. It advertises that it collects “99% of allergens, pollen and particles.”
The iRobot Roomba 960 manufacturer’s warranty covers the vacuum for one year from the date of purchase.
- Hoover Home App updated on 1/8/18 with improvements and solution for connection problems
- Robart® Mapping with Memory Navigation: I use a high-tech laser to navigate your home and remember your floorplan which optimizes my cleaning path
- SmartWall™ Technology: You can create virtual boundaries in the Hoover Home App to customize what areas are off limits to me
- Wi-Fi Connected: by downloading the Hoover home app, you can access me from anywhere since I know you can't stand to be away from me
- Voice control: I'm a good listener so I Made sure I was compatible with Amazon alexa and Google home assistant so you can give me vocal commands (Amazon alexa and Google home sold separately)
The Hoover Rogue 970 Wi-Fi Connected Robotic Vacuum uses a laser to navigate and map a floor plan, and includes virtual walls and boundaries to dictate where the robot goes. It offers Wi-Fi connectivity, a smartphone app and voice control. This robot vacuum integrates with Amazon’s Alexa and Google Home Assistant. It uses agitation, brushes and suction to clean. Users report that the vacuum function works well, but that the technology is difficult or impossible to use.
Hoover backs this model with a 1-year warranty.
- Included Components: Remote
- AAA Batteries
- Docking Station
- Power Source Type: Samsung vacuum
The Samsung POWERbot Star Wars Limited Edition is shaped like Darth Vader’s mask and it uses Star Wars-themed sounds, which is really cool! It vacuums well with powerful suction and edge cleaning.
In addition to looking stylish, this vacuum uses “Visionary Mapping Plus and Full View 2.0” sensor to map and navigate. Its Wi-Fi connectivity allows for remote control through a smartphone or voice control through Alexa or Google Assist. Coverage map shows on the app where POWER bot has cleaned. This is a good basic robot vacuum with a cool face.
The Samsung POWERbot Star Wars Limited Edition comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
- The Gen 3 CyclonePower cleaning system with a strong suction provides thorough and concentrated cleaning. Adjusts to floor types - thin carpet, tile, hardwood, laminate & more.
- Superior battery-group brings up to 100mins cleaning time which makes work easily and it also has a prolonged life time.
- Multiple smart sensors avoid bumping around or falling off stairs. The A4s even cleans under beds, along the walls and around the clutter. Dirt can not hide.
- Schedule your cleaning hours where the A4s will automatically start to clean .Automatically returns to the charging base when power is low.
- What You Get: ILIFE A4s robot vacuum, remote control, charging dock, AC power adapter, cleaning tool, extra set of high-performance filters, extra set of side brushes, user guide and our worry-free 12-month warranty,offer our best service.
The ILIFE A4s Robot Vacuum Cleaner is a bargain-priced vacuum robot that works fairly well with strong suction power to clean all kinds of floors. It has a scheduling program option and will auto start and auto-return to charge as needed (although the battery lasts longer than two hours!) It has multiple sensors to avoid furniture or ledges. The only downside is that this robot vacuum lacks grace as it navigates at random. It may bump into furniture and will need frequent cleanings of its brushes.
ILIFE A4s Robot Vacuum Cleaner comes with a 1-year warranty, but users have reported difficulty getting in touch with the manufacturer.
There are many high-quality options when looking for the best robot vacuums of 2019. To get the most features and best cleaning power for your money, we recommend the iRobot Roomba 960 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner. If a more affordable option is what is most important, then we recommend the ILIFE A4s.